Monday, June 1, 2015

PCOS: What it is and why it makes losing weight even more difficult

When I was in high school, around the time I started gaining weight again, I also started noticing that I had an irregular period. At first it was every two-three months, and then it was 5 months, and before I knew it, I hadn't had my period for over a year. I went to the doctor, and at first he told me that it was probably PCOS. Well, they did some blood work and told me everything was fine, I just needed to lose weight.

When I was 18 I started on Birth Control from Planned Parenthood, and I was on it until I was 20. I eventually stopped taking it because I didn't like the way I felt on it. As soon as I stopped, so did my period. After 2 or 3 months, I decided to go see my OB/GYN and find out what was wrong.

I told my doctor my symptoms: I'd gained about 30 lbs after stopping birth control, I had irregular periods, hair started growing under my chin, and I was ALWAYS tired. Well,  she did an sonogram, and sure enough, I had poly-cystic ovaries.


Poly-cystic ovaries are caused by a hormone imbalance. Typically the ovaries produce a small amount of androgen's (male sex hormone). Poly-cystic ovaries produce more androgen's than normal, which causes ovulation to stop, acne, and excess body and facial hair. (source)
I am not an expert on PCOS. If you are concerned that you may have PCOS, please see your physician for diagnosis and treatment.

I'll admit, when I first found out, I was just glad to have a diagnosis. And then reality set in. It wasn't pretty. In fact I became depressed for a few months. I felt hopeless. I felt like "I'm never going to be able to have kids and I'll always be fat." That was just my life, now.

Once I accepted that I had PCOS and it was just something I would have to deal with, I started doing my research. I was on threads and getting weekly emails from support groups. Most of the women were struggling with trying to get pregnant, which wasn't (and STILL isn't) what I needed. I just wanted to know how to live my day-to-day. I want to be healthy.

Everything I was reading kept mentioning that PCOS can lead to diabetes because it causes insulin resistance. Therefore, the best diet for someone with PCOS is sugar-free and low carb. It's definitely difficult, especially considering how much I love bread and pasta and chocolate cake. But I basically have to learn to live without it, or only have it a couple times a year. I can actually feel a difference when I start eating sugar and carbs again. I swear my knees start to hurt more due to inflammation, I become fatigued more easily, and I just feel....puffy. It sucks, y'all.

I've started and restarted my keto diet so many times I've lost count. It's not easy by any means, but when I do it and stick with it, it definitely works.

So, I'm back on the keto wagon, and I'm trying to exercise at least 4 times a week. I know that I'll have slip-ups and bad weeks, but I just want this to stick this time. I've started over way too many times, I'm ready for this to be the real deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment